Welcome to my blog, Sweet Grass and Lattes!

There are two smells on this earth I could never be tired of - sweet grass in the summer sun and lattes.







Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Three Months of Not Shampooing! (And I STILL have Fabulous Hair!)

I am officially in my third month of not shampooing my hair and it's still fabulous. Don't get me wrong, I still shower regularly, so please don't go {ew}. After staying up late one night and seeing the infomercial for Wen haircare, I decided to look into it further.
Here's what I discovered:
You don't need to shampoo your hair.
(feeling puzzled?)
Apparently there are still mild emollients and astringents in conditioners that clean your hair without having to shampoo it with harsh detergents and chemical strippers. I was at a point where my hair was in this terrible rut, and so was I.

I spend far too long on my hair each time I tried to do anything with it.
I shampooed it in the shower, which dried it out terribly.
Then I conditioned the sh!t out of it to try to get the dry straw feeling to go away.
After that if I wanted to style it, I had to add several different products that were sticky and gross.
Rinse and repeat.

I decided to try Wen and I have not shampooed my hair since. Since Wen is very expensive, I did some investigating and there is an almost identical product at Sally Beauty Supply for less than a third of the price, and not much more than you'd pay for good conditioner at the drug store. Ingredients are identical, works the same. Bonus factor that you don't have to pay for expensive shampoos too.

My hair is full and healthy, and I don't even need stying products anymore, just blow dry with a diffuser and my hair is *big and sexy*. It stays full all day, I can run my fingers through it, and it's clean and looks great. It has shine, it has body. I've dyed my hair for years, now my dye lasts longer since I'm not using detergents to strip it out. It doesn't get brassy, or frizzy and I can go longer between trims since my ends don't get as fried.

I am now a firm believer that shampoo is over rated. Waste of time, waste of money, and now I have one less chemical going in my septic. I understand that this might not be for everyone, especially if your hair gets really dirty, or is prone to lots of oil. Something like a low-poo alternative might be better for you than what you're using now. It has less chemical detergents and surfactants, which is not only better for you, but better for the environment as well.

I don't think I'll ever use shampoo again. Try it for a week. You might love it, you might hate it, but at least you can say you tried it! It might change your hair's life!

3 comments:

  1. Erika, this post begs for before-and-after pictures! I don't think I'm giving up shampoo any time soon but you did get me thinking~! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, You have me intrigued! I have straight hair, and I see you have super curly hair (I'm jealous!) - did you happen to see anything on straight hair in your research?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - I'll have to take some 'hair now' photos for you!

    knapper08 - Wen and Hair-One (Sally's Beauty Supply) both have a formula made specifically for straight hair!! You're in luck!

    ReplyDelete